The environmental assessment report has not yet been released, and the community continues to protest. The situation is calm for some time.chicagoOver the past two days, a large number of construction trucks drove to the construction site early in the morning to resume construction of a tent camp for asylum-seeking immigrants in the city’s Brighton Park area, sparking a new wave of fierce protests among residents. The wave started.
Including the one on the 21stSugarResidents, including two community residents, refused to leave the entrance to the construction site because they blocked the entry of a large truck. He was handcuffed and forcibly taken away by Chicago police for violating public order.
“We are very disappointed and helpless,” said Qiang Shao, a Chinese resident who has been protesting in front of the construction site since mid-October. Government officials do not respect the rights of law-abiding and tax-paying residents, and are completely unwilling to accept community voices and suggestions. It’s truly hair-raising.
Roberto Silveratre, another Hispanic resident, said that the city’s environmental assessment report has not been released, and if construction is to start on the site, it must also have a building permit certificate, but the community has not received it at all Is. Giving information on any of the latest documents, Sylvester told the police who were dispersing the crowd, “You take out the permit or I’m ready to go to jail.”
The protests continued on the 21st, and the police once again dispatched several police officers to the scene. Jacqueline Zuniga, who first started the protest, and Chinese resident Beverly guarded the entry and exit of construction vehicles at the construction site, with vehicles being blocked from entering the construction. According to eyewitness accounts, the police, after three warnings, handcuffed both of them and sent them in a police car to leave the scene. Some protesting residents said the police may have intended to use this as a warning to others not to block the project again.
According to our reporter’s on-site observation, at least one third of the gravel paving project in the camp has been completed. This is also the basic construction requirement for building a camp. Regarding the status of the tent camping reservation site, the Chicago city government only said that an environmental assessment is ongoing.
Mayor Julia Ramirez of Chicago’s 12th Ward in the Cantonment area only issued an announcement regarding the resumption of work at the construction site, informing residents that “The Mayor’s Office has informed my office regarding the 38th Street intersection. The following information is provided.CaliforniaThe latest status of the temporary shelter on the Avenue, construction crews will be on site on November 20 to continue site assessment, and this week the following work will be carried out: installing railing around the camp, including repairing three gates; Construction; Removal of some dead trees; evaluation of communication poles on site; environmental analysis and testing; Removing a container trailer from the site; Debris removal and site preparation. ,
Chinese residents said that if it was only “site assessment”, why did gravel laying begin? Residents had previously raised funds and hired lawyers to sue the government, but the case is now in limbo.
Protesters said it is difficult for the community to believe various statements made by the city government and democratically elected officials. “We have protested, marched and taken legal action. Who’s to tell us, what else can we do?” It is possible?”
Location(tag to translate)Chinese(T)Chicago(T)California